Chain doors without chains, 1877
For a long time, the passage through the city walls by the Great Arsenal had been called Lančana vrata (The Chain Doors). In the middle ages there was a big iron chain that anchored the entrance to the city port. It was made of 13 balks shackled by chains. The other end of the chain was pinned to the breakwater. These doors were battered down in 1877 when Zadar authorities established a postal road over the city walls. The passage was expanded and above it they have set up an iron fence bridge. The only thing left from the old doors is the name itself.